Pages

Friday, December 3, 2010

Rice anyone?

My ten-year-old son is making himself breakfast.  Not cereal, mind you; he's cooking eggs.  I love that my kids enjoy cooking.  I learned how to cook by necessity and often the hard way.  Did you know you can't put a metal pan in the microwave?  My younger brother and I spent a lot of time alone in the kitchen.  Today we both love to cook, so I guess that worked.  But now that I'm a parent, I love teaching my kids how to cook - properly.  Yesterday, said son wanted to cook Korean rice.  I taught him how to wash it, soak it, and use the rice cooker.  It was more involved than he realized but he was very happy with himself and the resulting sticky rice.  Which was gobbled down with seaweed.  Gotta love it.
So, my little boy is becoming quite independent.  And hungry.  I can see the teenage years approaching with a ravenous appetite.  I'm just glad that he'll be able to cook for himself.  Now if he can just start earning money to pay for all that food he's going to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment